- This event has passed.
Ethics Webinar: Moral Courage and Professionalism for Engineers – 1.0 PDHs
May 26 @ 12:00 pm - 1:00 pm UTC+0
Excellence and ethics begin in the heart and mind of a true professional. This session will consider how a commitment to excellence and to moral integrity, two hallmarks of professionalism, hinge on three underlying capacities: moral motivation, moral clarity, and moral courage. Engineers tend to exhibit these features, but none should be taken for granted. This session will consider the nature of these capacities, and focus on moral courage and integrity as capacities that can – and should – be consciously strengthened and maintained over one’s career. Participants will be asked to reflect on their own experiences and will learn specific practices that enable professionals to make the best choices and to act on those choices, even in the face of challenges and adversity.
- Understand the nature and interrelationships of moral motivation, moral clarity, and moral courage as features of an ethical professional.
- Recognize, prevent, and mitigate teleopathy as a threat to moral motivation and moral clarity.
- Identify moments of truth or points of inflection requiring moral courage.
- Practice a kind of vision and reflection that strengthens moral courage over time.
- Maintain the kinds of professional relationships – peer, mentor, colleague, supervisory – that support moral clarity and moral courage.
Free for current members. $60 for non-members.